Wednesday, August 6, 2008

tres interesante

Sifting through documents that I scarcely think about
and telling the tales that surround their origin
brings up people who scarcely think about me. At least,
if I am mistaken and said pondering actually does occur
it translates into utter inaction and total neglect.

It's tres interesante, to say the least.

However, I suppose what is even more interesting is
how my change of heart towards both my friends and enemies will translate.
If I am "kata holos" in theory only please burn me at the
stake immediately. Do not pass go, or make any side trips
along the way to the gallows. Light your match and douse me
in the finest oil so that my memory may be scorched from the earth
but please don't let me cry out in blasphemy while my flesh melts and
chars to blackness of night. Let my final words be words similar to saints of old, that told of bliss as my eyes are taken off of my surroundings and are placed
back where they belong-on Reality, who is not an abstract concept
but a Person.

And if I make it through another day, may this same Person who would shine
in my eyes as I left this world in death do the same in my lingering life on earth. May He illuminate my view of all others who bear the image of this Person.
May the most insidious iconoclasm of all be struck from my heart, and
this whole world. We are far too worried about smashing images of God
that are made of stone or wood. The ones that walk and breathe and sin
among us are made of flesh, and we smash them to bits all too often.

If Catholics are right in venerating their brethren in heaven through images but fail to walk in awe among humanity in general and (more importantly) humanity in particular, the real crimes have not ceased.

As someone named John once argued,

11For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 12We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother’s righteous. 13Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you. 14We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death. 15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

16By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. 17But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? 18Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.


Kyrie eleison, Christe eleison.

No comments: