Tuesday, January 8, 2008

2007--a year surveyed using silly questions....

I posted this within a comment box on a friend's blog, but I spent so long on it (and I wouldn't mind reading someone else's responses), so I decided to put this here too....


1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before? Truly enjoy sushi.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? To a degree, but those are made privately so I shall divulge no further.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Physically, no.

4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes-both emotionally and physically.

5. What countries did you visit? Canada--Banff was a great town, and I must say that their Rockies are superior to ours.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Money.

7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Hm....083107-my last birthday in my twenties...no other day sticks out in my mind.

8. Did you change? For the better, (super)naturally.

9. Are you happy with the year over all? I can't be happy with a period of time as large as a year---too much injustice and hatred to cloud out my thoughts of joy that can be seen on a day to day basis.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Only emotional wounds.

11. Are you going to change something about yourself next year? I'm going to work out again.

12. Do you think 2008 will be a better year than 2007? Year, shmear. Who knows who will be be elected, etc. I am a mere butterfly.

13. Did you go to an amusement park? Went to Disneyland--the 29 year streak is still on, despite living in Maryland.

14. Where did most of your money go? Paying off the seemingly insurmountable debt that crushes my will to live when I give it a moment's thought.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Ron Paul, great literature, great music, great movies, etc.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007? "All I Need" by Radiohead-it's more proof that C is the best chord in the galaxy.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:happier or sadder? Every year I feel both emotions on a deeper level than the year before.

thinner or fatter? definitely fatter, but the rollercoaster is at the top of the hill and we are getting ready for an exciting drop and hope for no more hills in the future!

richer or poorer? richer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I wish I'd spent more time with my kids.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Working jobs that mean nothing to me.

20. Did you go on a summer vacation? We went to California-it was decent.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007? No, my wife would kill me if I did.

22. 23. What was your favorite TV program? My Name is Earl, The Sopranos.

24. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn’t dislike this time last year? I'm always meeting new people, so yes.

25. What was the best book you read? This is tough to answer. I think I'll go with Notes from the Underground by Dostoyevsky or Orthodoxy by Chesterton.


26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Another tough one...I guess it would have to be Belle and Sebastian, though I speak of the fervency of my appreciation of them, as they're not new to me.

27. Who do you think you were on the phone with the most? I try to distribute minutes freely, with a bias towards fellow T-Mobile customers. Those that come to mind most in that sub-fraction would be Ben and Jim.

28. What did you want and not get?
A house.

29. What was your favorite film of this year? The Darjeeling Limited

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? If I remember correctly, we just hung out at home on the day when I turned 29 and Jonathan X. turned 7.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Having the NIH move to California.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? Old Faithful

33. What kept you sane? A sense of connection to history, and a generous set of drinks after a hard day's night.

34.Did you ever go to the hospital ? Just once, outside of visits to Building 10 of the NIH.

35. What political issue stirred you the most? Ron Paul for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Whom did you miss? Christopher Dallas Helwig

37. Who was the best new person you met? No one really comes to mind there.

38. Did you get a tattoo? NO, and I think I'm done.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

If your right hand is causing you pain
Cut it off, cut it off
If your colours have started to run
Let them all run, run away from you

There is lightning in this room
Above our heads, waiting to strike
I'm a thinker not a talker
Put your faith, your faith in God

We were hoping for some romance
All we found was more despair
We must talk about our problems
We are in a state of flux

I'd kill for an adventure
Just you and I, in the Curzon Bar
Dancing till we knew
So all that we've learnt disappears

When you shouted at me
I saw my father in the second grade
Concerned and kind
Yet unable to reach me

We were hoping for some romance
All we found was more despair
We must talk about our problems
We are in a state of flux

State of flux

We need to talk

We were hoping for some romance
All we found was more despair
We must talk about our problems
We are in a state of flux

No comments: